Deborah A. Baumgarten MD, MPH, FACR, FSAR
Interim Director, Division of Abdominal Imaging
Radiology and Imaging Sciences
Abdominal Imaging Fellowship
Preliminary Radiology Internship/Associate
Radiology Residency Program
Emory University School of Medicine
1364 Clifton Rd. NE
Atlanta, GA 30329
Phone: (404) 778-3800
Dr. Baumgarten is a well-regarded abdominal imager with a long list of invited lectures, visiting professorships and organization of educational activities. She has been recognized for her teaching and has received awards for service and mentorship. She holds many leadership positions with national radiology organizations and is President-elect of the Society of Abdominal Radiology. She strives to be “green”, integrating sustainable practices into home and work life. She is an avid exerciser and baker.
- B.A. Chemistry Brown University, Providence RI 1985
- M.D. Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 1989
- Transitional Internship Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 1990
- Radiology Residency Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 1994
- Abdominal Imaging Fellowship Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 1995
- M.P.H. Rollins School of Public Health at Emory University, Atlanta, GA 2001
Dr. Baumgarten specializes in abdominal imaging with an emphasis on CT, US and fluoroscopy. Her clinical interests include imaging of the GU tract (renal, bladder, testicular, ovarian and endometrial pathology), oncological diagnosis and follow-up and thyroid imaging with ultrasound, especially predictors of malignancy and follow-up of proven thyroid cancer patients. Another interest is thoughtful and evidence-based use of imaging
- *Johnson S, *Rishi R, *Andone A, *Khawandi W, Al-Said J, Gletsu-Miller N, Lin E, Baumgarten DA, O’Neill WC. Determinants and Functional Significance of Renal Mass in Adults. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2011 Jan; 6:70-76.
- *Hanna T, *Friedman A, Baumgarten DA. Littoral Cell Angioma of the Spleen. Radiology Case Reports Vol 6, No 3 (2011).
- *Hsiao W, Moses KA, Shrewsberry AB, Malek-Jones M, Baumgarten DA, Master VA, Ogan K. Intra-tumor Doppler Flow Patterns Do Not Predict Malignancy of Renal Masses in a U.S. Population. Can J Urol. 2011 Aug;18(4):5831-5.
- *Abbasi A, Johnson TV, Ying K, Baumgarten D, Millner R, Master VA. Duplicated Vena Cava With Tumor Thrombus From Renal Cancer: Use of Venogram for Safer Operative Planning. Urology. 2012 Apr;79(4):e57-8. Epub 2011 Aug 20.
- *Webber GR, Baumgarten DA, Chen Z, Wang Z, Mullins ME. The Increasing Demands Placed on Radiology Residency Program Directors. 2013 Jul;10(7):523-6 Epub ahead of print 2013 Mar 28
- View publications on PubMed